Thursday, September 10, 2009

Simple Figures on Grounds

I was admiring the deceptive simplicity of Craigie Aitchison's paintings and prints -- the strong color blocks and the small, almost naive figures -- and their ability to draw one in even with a small web image. Looking at the figures as shapes and setting aside their representative nature as much as one can -- they won't completely lose their humanness or animal character -- their relationship to the ground took me back to Richard Tuttle colored shapes on white grounds.

As an exercise, I played with placing small figures in colored grounds on Photoshop. No doubt, I should pull out the color pack and engage the exercise physically to better and more nuanced effect. In the set of shapes in the lower corner, I also tried for implication of a weighty sphere without drawing one.

No comments: