Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Pic-A-Day: Continued Diversion


This was a failed Think Draw (animal parts) rendition of one of my favorite Matisse paintings, Interior at Nice, in so many ways, partly because I was working by memory and partly because I just got tired and lazy. It doesn't capture the most intriguing aspect of the painting -- the circular motion moving from the bird's eye view to the frontal view as the room is entered and traversed. I placed the chair, which is the wrong color, in the wrong place and at the wrong angle, and I did a poor (mostly non-existent) job shifting the direction of the floor pattern. Still, I like the strength and shape of the curtains, and the way the vanity table, with the chair entirely too close to it (another fatal flaw), seemed to turn into a person looking back as I enlarged and reduced saturation on photoshop.

Next, I smudged the picture, ending up with pattern and movement:
This rendition is more successful as an image. It's too close in value, with no dark and light complexes, as reflected in the completely de-saturated version. The absence of value differentials is mediated by the presence of the pink and green color complexes.

No comments: