Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Permanence and Impermanence Revisited and a Word about Process

My current installation comes down Sunday and the next one does not go up until October. The end of an exhibition, especially one in which the work is temporal, brings mixed feelings. On one hand, the piece has had its time in its space; on the other, one would always liked more people to experience it the way it is where it is, and not only from documentation or recreation.

Anticipating taking down the installation has focused me on for now on more permanent work -- ink drawings on archival surfaces are not so temporal. I've become acutely aware of a parallel between my process with these drawings and my process with my installations to the point where my awareness of the parallel feels as if it may well define the work: I am effectively installing vignettes on the drawing surface like I install elements in an space for an installation when I "draw" in space, only the vignettes don't lift off some time later. Not a surprising observation, of course, as we often engage the same conceptual thoughts and issues, no matter the medium or perhaps in search of the medium. I am not sure why I'm concentrating on the parallel.

No comments: