Thursday, August 27, 2009

Facing Habits

I have paperwork to do; naturally, I am procrastinating. I can hear the rain falling outside. For some reason, the sound made me think of processes I seem to have avoided. I doubt there's any correlation.

We are creatures of habit to different degrees. I watch materials move and flow. I enjoy playing with materials and methods -- cutting, folding, scrunching, rubbing. I tend to build from light or gentle touches (which often involves more effort than it would seem). I watch as dimension comes out of these touches. Looking back, what I don't seem to do except on rare occasions for points of contrast is to play with thick material, globs. Even with pure painting, I tend to build up with glazes. It's odd to avoid the dimensionality of globs of paint, given the appreciation I have for creating dimension. I'll have to tackle it directly. I move away from processes when they lead me to be too tight and controlled (to fight tendencies in that direction) -- but paint globs should not do that.

Update: first experiment = total failure. That's good, right? Maybe?

No comments: