Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year

Another fresh year begins.

At the tail end of last year, The Drawing Center Viewing Program, which includes an online artist registry, selected me to participate. A high level of many variations on drawing can be viewed in their registry: perusal there is well rewarded. I am honored to be included.

I also finished my stint at the City of Chicago Open Studio, managing to videotape and photograph my installation. I think the experimentation with paper construction will prove significant as I move forward. It was very immediate, yet still meditative, as a process. It's a simple enough step to move to doing this experimentation with more archival papers and varied types of papers. Caution at the other end -- avoid redundancy. I am less certain about the integration of the graphite imagery on newspaper; I like the result, but the process lacked predictability in how the newspaper took the graphite. Ink may well be a better option there. I loaded images of the Open Studio project onto www.myartspace.com -- I'll post the link when I sign back into blogger in using Firefox -- their site has a quick flash program that shows the images in a moving slide show.

I am working on picking up knitting and crocheting. I see utility for expanding the weaving concept in my work, and I see room for using these techniques to expand my drawing. Plus, as an aside, I feel like making cute critters. I have my mother's knitting and crocheting needles, plus some of her patterns, and I found general instructions on the web. I am working more or less free form on my own version of what is beginning to resemble an elephant at the moment as I get the hang of the different crochet stitches.

Here's hoping for a great and productive year!

No comments: