Sunday, August 30, 2009

Unwinding

Yesterday was the last day of Locate. Today, after shooting as many detail photos as my camera would hold I took down the installation. Always anti-climatic. What's left are images, memories, and the individual elements now waiting inclusion in another installation.

Afterward, I went to the Art Institute with a fellow artist. This visit, I was surprised to be struck by a Cy Twombly drawing in the Prints & Drawing room. It didn't have all the mark making -- scribbles or the drips of paint -- I associate with his work. The top was folded down, left lifted enough from the paper to cast a thin dark shadow, and a blue horizontal line ran across the paper toward the bottom. The ratios of the paper so divided were elegant. It's simplicity was its strength.

I also was drawn, more expectedly for me, to animals in the South Asian and Southeast Asian collections, including one of my favorites, Simeon Mother and Child, and the bull with which they now share their display case.

No comments: