Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Sketchbook Project 4: Cover and Bleed Through



I finished my sketchbook for Sketchbook Project 4. Above, "Converse" (inside front cover + facing page) and "Mark Time: Structure" (back and front cover).

The way the soft cover soaked up ink some times in chunks was frustrating, and after the initial pencil marks and colored pencil coloring, the addition of ink pushed the cover through a couple intermediate stages that I hated. The cover seemed to get worse with each fix. The end image, however, turned out well, with a few scars from the journey. The experience is a good reminder that art often needs to go through the awful, and stages ought not be considered sacrosanct as even successful passages may have to give way for a successful whole to emerge.

I had a small amount of bleed through at the spine. The smattering of unintentional marks seems okay in the overall scheme of the sketchbook. Normally, when I work with a sketchbook, I don't worry about flawed marks or cross outs. Sketchbooks are for working out ideas and for practicing accumulate marks. I'll close my eyes at times and make circles, which end up elliptical, or make cubes which end up as blurs moving around the page. But because this Sketchbook is a submission, and hence, will be on display, it proved difficult to be that carefree. Even if not carefree, I was able to be experimental in my approach. The inevitable result is that some pages work very well, and a few are quite a bit weaker than I would like.

No comments: